Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mindis-Complexis Disorder

Since my last article, I'm in a state of expressing everything in a complicated manner and then analyzing how many words I've sinfully wasted had I expressed it in a simpler manner. Getting it?

I am currently reading Ray Romano's 'Everything and a Kite' and I am really amazed at the simplicity of expression. Yes, he is the same guy who plays Raymond in the hit series 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. What I marvel is the way he has expressed humor (or, for our British friends - humour). To-the-point. Not even an additional iota of confusion for understanding the profundity of the literature! (I know, the Mindis-Complexis Disorder (MCD) is acting again)

Humor has to be simple and to-the-point. If somebody has to be break his head in understanding humor, then its no humor. Ditto with any communication / expression for that matter. Excluding the Economic deductions to understand the Domino-effect of price volatility in Zambia on the market upsurge in developed countries. (Hey buddy, just come out of this MCD, will ya?)

World would be a different place if everything was expressed in a complicated manner. I think this would pose the biggest problem to Communication agencies world-wide. All the advertisers would spray complicated jargon over everyone's mind - reducing sales and hampering the brand equity of that product. This is just a thin slice in the incontrovertibly growing spiral of complex expression whose effect would aggravate mental trauma and trigger mass hysteria; ultimately , after realization, would obliterate the existence of complexity altogether. (Okay, enough said)

As a writer, I have always tried to express my thoughts in the simplest possible manner. Recently, I have been inspired by the depth and clarity of expression of Hugh MacLeod (of gapingvoid.com). I am trying to improve my skills of written expression through constant thinking and re-visiting such sites, which not only tell you how best things are written to-the-point; but, also, explain how effective blogging can radically ignite sales in a small South African winery to help it grow multifold.

So, IMHO, be Simple. To-the-point. Effective. Clear.


1 comment:

  1. WiezForce,

    A paragraph in your blog talks about how humor should be simple. If you really want to understand the mechanics of humor, then a must-read is "Comedy Writing Secrets" by Melvin Helitzer.

    I have this book. Please ping me and I will explain how you can get it painlessly.

    Regards,
    Sagar
    --
    PS: I've been true to my promise and updated my blog..again!

    ReplyDelete